Football is just around the corner, and we at BigCountryPreps.com are committed to bringing you the information you need to prepare for your favorite team’s season.
We’ll be releasing our Big Country Preps Preseason Football Preview, the most comprehensive look at the upcoming Big Country football season anywhere, on Wednesday, Aug. 17. But you won’t have to wait until then to sate your gridiron appetite.
Leading up to the first day of fall football practice on Aug. 1, we’ll be spotlighting each 11-man team in the area and posing some of the key questions they’ll face in 2022 as part of our annual “Countdown to Two-a-Days” series.
We continue in Class 2A Division II with the Cross Plains Buffaloes. On Saturday we will take a look at the Roscoe Plowboys, followed by the Haskell Indians on Sunday.
CROSS PLAINS BUFFALOES
LAST YEAR’S RECORD
- 6-5 overall, 2-3 in District 8-2A Division II
ONE KEY STAT
- The Buffaloes’ trip to the playoffs last year was their seventh in a row and the ninth in Daniel Purvis’ 11 years as had coach. Cross Plains reached the postseason just 10 times between 1924 and 2010.
TWO NAMES TO KNOW
- Senior WR Ryan Hopkins (Received for 602 yards and 10 touchdowns and rushed for 350 yards and 4 touchdowns in 2021)
- Senior RB/LB Noah Moses (Rushed for 526 yards and 3 touchdowns and had 120 tackles in 2021)
THREE BURNING QUESTIONS
- With 16 of 19 lettermen back, including 11 offensive and nine defensive starters, can the Buffaloes improve enough to challenge Albany and Roscoe at the top of District 6-2A Division II?
- How much will sophomore Kade Purvis be at the quarterback position after passing for 1,212 yards and 15 touchdowns last year as a freshman?
- With nine starters back, can the Cross Plains defense get back to playing the type of defense it did in 2020, when it held opponents to 13.5 points per game?
DON’T MISS BIG COUNTRY PREPS PRESEASON FOOTBALL PREVIEW ON AUG. 17!